Friday 1 July 2016

Slow and sure determination and computer learning curves

Ever being up for another challenge, just before Christmas 2015, I opened a Folksy shop.  I'll have to admit, the prospect of three free listings had something to do with my decision, and at the time I had a LOT going on. This resulted in me adding one item...pathetic I know, but me and photographs and descriptions don't really go hand in hand, and in all fairness I found out the day before the offer expired.

As a result, my Folksy shop languished (a little like my blog really), whilst I did other things like sell direct; sell from my other online shop; learn Twitter, Facebook and Instagram; make 'more stuff'.  I duly got a little more competent at Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and followed different people, companies etc. In the meantime, my single Folksy listing expired :(.  I kept promising myself I would go back in, list more things and this time promote my shop!

I have found, (I'm sure like many others before me, and as many more will since), that customers don't just 'find' you online.  You have to put in some effort too!  Whatever platform or platforms you choose, you have to be there all the time, promoting yourself and your goods and services.  It's just never going to be enough to rely on selling things you make to people you know. 

This is, I hasten to add, not a new realisation on my part!  I have always known that this is something I am going to have to do if I intend making a success of my business.  I had hoped that attending craft fairs and gift markets would help realise an increase in my sales, but these events can be very difficult to rely on to sell any significant quantity of goods, especially if you sell something that is not frankly a necessity in life.  And, there are certain times of the year that are far busier than others.  All things I have known for a very long time.

Anyhow, to cut a long, rambling story short, a week or so ago, I re-opened it, listed a few different items, making sure that they were things I hadn't listed elsewhere. I Tweeted, Facebooked, Instagrammed etc that I had added a few things - all at about the same time I started to make an effort on my blog posts again.

Fused glass Little Penguin on Folksy
How is it going you ask? Well, I'm not expecting miracles.  I have yet to have any sales, but I am feeling hopeful. I realise its is still very early days, yet the shop statistics are promising.  I know I have to do a lot of work on things behind the scenes, and getting my head around all this 'computing stuff' isn't easy.  It's all an ongoing learning process, and I'm determined I'll get there, slowly but surely.

The Owl and the Pussycat on Folksy
In the meantime, the 'computer stuff' learning curve just seems to get steeper all the time.  I find out about new things I need to be doing, and should have been doing for ages, and have to work that out.  I discover new ways of doing things on my computer that are quicker and I didn't realise I had. 
Windows 10 has a lot to answer for.  This morning it has decided it will show me my mail from my outlook account in a different way.  It seems that it is gradually working out new links and deciding to show them...or is is me and my computer ineptness I wonder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments and feedback.
Thank you for reading the Dragon Art Glass Blog!