Monday 20 June 2016

...uh oh!

...I left you last time with my (I think passable) version of an owl panel, based on an owl by Kenojuak Ashevak the Inuit artist.  I was really pleased with how it turned out, and wanted it to be able to stand freely - well actually, I didn't have a clue about how I was going to hang it on the wall, didn't have the fittings I needed,or the patience for them to arrive, and so went for the 'quick' and lazy option as it was for myself, I would slump it over the largest mold I had and make a large candle screen for myself.
This would serve several purposes -
Christmas 2016 candle shelter

1. It would get me using the mold again ( I hadn't used it since before Christmas, when I used it to make Christmassy scenes for the Etsy Pop Up shop.
Before slumping
2. This would be good practice as I wanted to use it for a celebratory 60th Wedding anniversary candle shelter, and wanted it to turn out right first time if possible.
3. It would save me buying fittings.

Which meant I would be able to stand it up on the window ledge too and get the full colourful effect on a sunny day.



Completed owl
I duly put the piece in the kiln, set the program and wandered off to do something else, knowing full well that it would take 12 or more hours to complete the cycle and cool back down.
    I was really pleased with how it turned out, and took it home to show it off, take some photographs, and carry on assembling my new cabinet that I intended to use as a display on my stall the following weekend.
As you can see, I took a few photographs, and then went on to wire up the cabinet on the dining room table
That was where I went wrong...
...Well, it was lovely while it lasted. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments and feedback.
Thank you for reading the Dragon Art Glass Blog!