Sunday 18 May 2014

Fresh from the Kiln and market ramblings

In the past the last few days, I've been making for Markets, fused and lampwork glass in the main, but I have several different projects on the go at the moment, and a multitude of ideas, so all in all a busy week.  I finally got around to visiting the local mining memorial, unveiled last October on the centenary of the Senghenydd Mining disaster - and took photographs for glassy inspiration.




Perhaps a panel? or a plate?  I don't know yet, but it may start small.

Yesterday 17th May at I attended the Market at Nantgarw China Works Muesum (http://nantgarwchinaworksmuseum.co.uk/),

Nantgarw China Works is the only surviving 19th century porcelain works in Great Britain, and is local to me, so when I heard about the market there I felt that I needed to attend whenever I could.  The market at Nantgarw takes place monthly on the third Saturday of the month, (the next being 21st June).  The idea of the market is to try and tempt people to visit, and support the Friends of Nantgarw (who are responsible for the day to day running of the museum), and raising funds to keep it open as a visitor attraction.  Quite a few people managed to visit the numerous stalls selling various craft items and food stuffs.  We (the stallholders), alongside the Friends of Nantgarw hope that the Market will continue to build, aiding this worthy cause.

On Saturday 24th May and Sunday 25th May -  Dragon Art Glass  will be at the Indoor Spring Market at Cwmcarn Forest Drive (http://your.caerphilly.gov.uk/cwmcarnforest/events/events).  I have attended this event in the past, and one day it will be full of people, and another day you will see next to no one, but hey ho we all have to start somewhere and take the good with the bad.  It will therefore be another busy week of making different pieces to try and ensure there will be different things to show people.


This week has been dichroic week in the kiln, with the plate below coming out early in the week (made as a birthday present for someone special).  



I'd had a little problem with this one, as when it initially came out of the kiln after the first firing it had several huge cracks in it (note to self - don't open the kiln door to see if it has worked!), but  rather than panic I left it on the kiln shelf and re-fired it.  At the end of the second firing it came out and looked OK so it went back in the kiln, in a mould to slump.  I was pleased with how it came out - the parts that look like cracks on the photograph, are the areas that cracked originally, but filled in and healed on the second firing, and are no longer cracks, but areas where the black backing glass of the dichroic have melted and filled in.  I checked with polarising filters and there are no areas showing stress, so it should be fine.  I think the few extra lines give it more character.  The recipient was pleased with it anyhow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments and feedback.
Thank you for reading the Dragon Art Glass Blog!